UK's carbon footprint gets bigger

8th January 2013


Related Topics

Related tags

  • Reporting ,
  • Retail and wholesale ,
  • Transport

Author

IEMA

The UK's carbon footprint increased in 2010 for the first time since its peak in 2004, new data from Defra has revealed

It shows that between 2009 and 2010, the nation’s footprint rose by 10%, following a 19% fall in 2009.

The environment department also reports that by 2010, UK carbon emissions relating to imports had increased 59% since 1993, with those related to imported goods and services from China rising by a massive 263%.

In 1993, emissions associated with imported goods and services accounted for 30% of the UK’s carbon footprint. By 2010, that figure had risen to 44%. Over the same 18-year period, emissions from domestically produced goods and services fell 12%, accounting for 35% of the UK’s overall footprint, compared with 47% in 1993.

In 2010, emissions of all six main greenhouse gases were 5% up on their 1993 levels. Defra reports that the country’s carbon emissions in 2004 totalled 852 million tonnes (mt), and has since fallen by 15% to 722mt CO2.


Transform articles

IEMA reacts to UK government's Net Zero Strategy

IEMA has raised concerns around a lack of funding for proposals outlined in the UK government's Net Zero Strategy, which was published earlier this week.

21st October 2021

Read more

Demand for fossil fuels will peak by 2025 if all national net-zero pledges are implemented in full and on time, the International Energy Agency (IEA) has forecast.

15th October 2021

Read more

Climate change remains one of the top issues most concerning the UK public, despite the economic turmoil experienced over the last 18 months, a poll commissioned by IEMA has found.

15th October 2021

Read more

Almost one-third of Europe's largest companies have now set net-zero emissions targets, but far less are set to deliver on their ambitions.

7th October 2021

Read more

A group of world-leading climate scientists has today warned that carbon pricing is currently too low to deliver a just transition to a net-zero economy, and that "urgent reforms" are needed.

30th September 2021

Read more

The Royal Botanic Gardens (RBG) in Kew has today unveiled a new strategy to tackle biodiversity loss and develop sustainable nature-based solutions to some of humanity’s biggest global challenges.

28th September 2021

Read more

How to Save Our Planet is call to action that aims to equip everyone with the knowledge needed to make change. We need to deal with climate change, environmental destruction and global poverty, and ensure everyone’s security.

23rd September 2021

Read more

Hannah Lesbirel and Beccy Wilson speak to IEMA members about climate anxiety

23rd September 2021

Read more

Seven of the UK's 17 key industry sectors are still increasing their emissions year-on-year, and most will miss their 2050 net-zero targets without significant government action, new research suggests.

23rd September 2021

Read more

Media enquires

Looking for an expert to speak at an event or comment on an item in the news?

Find an expert