IEMA has been working with the UK Business and Biodiversity Forum, the RSPB, the Aldersgate Group and the International Chamber of Commerce to create a Nature Positive Business Pledge.
The aim of the Pledge is to create a set of principles and a framework of actions to support businesses to reduce their impacts on nature and to work in a nature-positive way.Business relies on nature directly and indirectly. Nature losses and gains are material to business. The Nature Positive Business Pledge invites companies to join a network of businesses that are committing to make changes in their operations to reduce impacts and support recovery for nature. Pledge signatories are asked to:
- Act using a set of good practice principles, including the mitigation hierarchy and additionality
- Assess impacts on nature and prioritise where action is required
- Identify and set suitable SMART targets
- Roll out costed and ordered actions and monitor and measure the outcomes
- Report transparently every year
- Continuously build on and step up nature positive actions
- Share their learnings to support other companies.
The Pledge does not specify a methodology and takes a high-level approach to allow businesses of all sizes and sectors – no matter what stage they are at in their impacts management – to commit to iterative improvements.
To sign up or to find out more, visit bit.ly/Nature_Positive_Business_Pledge