Enhancing and restoring our natural assets will require significant private sector investment. As post-Brexit natural environment architecture is designed, we can demonstrate the conditions necessary for private investment.
Accelerating private investment in nature-based solutions will:
- Provide new income for land managers and owners by paying for environmental services delivered
- Join up public and private funding streams to get better value for money
- Speed up the development of environmental services markets
- Enable businesses to invest in carbon offsets from nature-based projects and attract carbon offset investment
- Position the UK as a world leader in financing action on nature recovery.
IEMA's Broadway Initiative has developed a proposal (bit.ly/2EPMX2a) for the government on accelerating private sector investment. It:
- Proposes that the government provides a minimum of £100m of funding for 12-20 demonstration projects in order to leverage at least £100m of private funding
- Outlines how these projects would inject funding into communities to deliver improvements, and demonstrate necessary conditions for private investment in the longer term
- Identifies project selection criteria and funding and governance options
- Outlines the next steps for capturing this opportunity, with support from the finance and business communities.
Image credit: iStock
28th August 2020