The Governance Review, which was overseen by a member-led steering group, was initiated in January and following engagement with the wider membership made a number of recommendations.
These included the need to establish a Policy and Practice Committee to provide strategic oversight of IEMA’s policy and practice activities, plus other recommendations geared at standardising the way in which member groups deliver these.
The final report can be found here and the full list of recommendations are below.
Work to begin embedding the findings will begin soon with an expression of interest exercise to be launched for those members who would like to be considered for the Policy and Practice Committee shortly.
Policy and practice Governance Review recommendations:
Policy and Practice Committee
- A Policy and Practice Committee should be established to act as a conduit between the IEMA Board and member steering groups engaged in policy and practice activities.
- The Policy and Practice Committee should provide strategic and joined-up oversight for all relevant activities and periodically report on progress to the IEMA Board.
- Membership of the Committee should be diverse and it is recommended that the IEMA Board undertakes analysis to establish what this would mean in practice.
Member steering groups engaged in policy and practice activity
- Member steering groups engaged in policy and practice activities should have standardised terms of reference documents that commit them to producing an annual programme of activity.
- While member steering groups will each have a different thematic focus, they should share a common purpose of ‘transforming the world to sustainability’.
- The membership of these groups should be diverse and it is recommended that the IEMA Board undertakes analysis to establish what this would mean in practice.
Policy and practice content development
- All policy and practice content delivery must follow a standardised process flow for initiation and sign-off.
- IEMA should produce a roughly even balance of policy and practice content.
Posted on 1st October 2021
Written by Ben Goodwin
New IEMA Policy and Practice Committee – express your interest in joining
- 19th October 2021
IEMA reacts to long-awaited net zero strategy
- 19th October 2021
Public ‘as concerned’ about climate change as they are about the economy, poll finds
- 14th October 2021
IEMA signs letter asking government to require mandatory disclosures of net zero transition plans for large companies
- 12th October 2021
IEMA Board accepts Governance Review policy and practice proposals
- 1st October 2021
IEMA reacts to new Nature Based Solutions Report
- 30th September 2021