TRANSFORM is Going Naked

On World Environment Day 2018, we are pleased to announced that we are eliminating the plastic wrap from every future delivery of our membership magazine.

Posted on Jun 05, 2018

As part of our mission to transform the world to sustainability, and our #PledgeLessPlastic campaign for World Environment Day 2018, we have made a commitment to cease sending TRANSFORM magazine in an oxydegradable polywrap with immediate effect.

From the July issue every member’s magazine will arrive free of all packaging. It will be distributed via a format called “naked mailing” which means there will be no plastic or paper used to wrap TRANSFORM from now on. Instead, the magazine will be bound with a single sticker to keep the pages closed in transit, and your address will be printed on the outside back page.

Other packaging options are available, however all present various environmental burdens, are prohibitively expensive or are at an experimental stage (e.g. sugar cane poly) and therefore supply is currently unsecure. IEMA has explored all options and made the brave choice to abolish all packaging immediately.

IEMA’s CEO Tim Balcon said this morning: ““I’d like to thank all members for their perseverance and inspiration. It’s been our ambition to eliminate the plastic wrap for some time, as we know it’s been inconsistent with our values. Encouragement from members helped us find a solution that goes beyond simply replacing the plastic with another material.”

“As we’ve eliminated all packaging, I think we’ve demonstrated the foresight and skills exemplified by IEMA members; tenacity, bravery, innovation, interrogating all the options and looking beyond what’s easy to find a solution which is right for the long term,” Balcon continued this morning.

IEMA has been examining alternative mailing options for some time, and the project to eliminate the plastic powered up in Spring 2018. We aimed to find the right long-term solution by World Environment Day so we could join our members in making a bold pledge to help beat plastic pollution.

The new “naked mailing” approach will be used from the July issue of TRANSFORM, due for publication on 1st July.

Tell us what you think on Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook using the #NakedTRANSFORM hashtag.

Go to transform.iema.net to find out more about TRANSFORM magazine. Click here to get involved in our #PledgeLessPlastic campaign and make impactful changes of your own.

Comments (10)

1. Patrick Sudlow:
    Jun 05, 2018 at 01:17 PM

I have for years, shopped in small organic shops, like the Unicorn and Eighth Day in Manchester, Beterraba, Tavira Portugal. Where fruit and vegetables are sold loosely and paper bags are used, which I re-use, till beyond re-use. I also use cotton bags instead of plastic bags, including the life-long ones. My waterproof jackets, are made from 100% cotton Ventile (as used by Royal Naval flight deck crew), manufactured in Scotland. I have reusable metal water bottles, which I top up with tap water, whilst the fruit/vegetable juices I buy, I try and source in glass bottles. I do not frequent establishments, which serve beer in plastic containers, no matter the occasion. Even the panniers on y bicycle, are cotton duck from Carradice, in Nelson, Lancashire

2. Tony Grace:
    Jun 08, 2018 at 08:16 AM

Good move IEMA - I was just thinking about this when my copy of Transform arrived in the post yesterday

3. Scott Spencer-White:
    Jun 12, 2018 at 01:28 PM

Sounds like a great move - I'll be keen to see the new style, sound much more friendly.
    If it doesn't work out (hopefully will!) what about a bio-degradable plastic alternatives like used on the window of sandwich boxes or the caddy of kitchen/food waste liners.

4. Katrina Pierce:
    Jun 12, 2018 at 01:46 PM

Hi Tony and Scott. Thanks so much for your replies. I'm delighted you're pleased with our solution. Not many titles have made a move this bold, but we're confident it's the right way forward. We will of course monitor things to ensure we maintain quality, so do let us know how your copy looks when it arrives. We've looked into other alternatives as a back up; they are typically extremely costly and supply isn't always secure but we'll do what we need to do to keep delivering your copies of TRANSFORM as long as you want them. Katrina

5. Tracy:
    Jul 10, 2018 at 09:51 AM

Great work IEMA, I would be very interested in learning more about this transition, and how you went about it. I work on a members' magazine and would be keen to lose the plastic bags it's currently sent in.

6. Katrina Pierce:
    Jul 12, 2018 at 09:11 AM

Hi Tracy. We'd be happy to tell you. Get in touch with me at k.pierce@iema.net and I'll let you know how we approached this.

7. Grant:
    Aug 24, 2018 at 03:49 AM

Stop printing your publication now! Digital is the only environmentally responsible publication format.

8. Katrina Pierce:
    Aug 24, 2018 at 10:11 AM

Hi Grant. This is on our agenda, but right now a phenomenal amount of members still want the physical copy. You can opt out of receiving your printed copy any time - just get in touch to let us know.

9. Rosemary Horry:
    Nov 22, 2018 at 02:24 PM

Yes now my copy arrives thumbed and used. Would prefer potatoe starch and a lovely magazine I feel I am the first to read.

10. Katrina Pierce:
    Nov 26, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Hi Rosemary. Sorry to hear that. Does this happen every month?

We have looked into potato starch wrap but it is prohibitively expensive and we didn't feel spending huge sums on an alternative wrap was a responsible thing to do with members' money. We are monitoring feedback like this though, and if it appears that going "naked" is not viable for the long term then we will of course again look at alternatives, so do keep us posted.Thank you.