The inaugural meeting of IEMA’s Policy and Practice Committee (PPC) took place in January. The PPC was created following a 2021 review of IEMA’s governance structures pertaining to policy and practice activity.
The review (bit.ly/PolicyPracticeRev) concluded that a PPC should be established to provide long-term and strategic oversight across all IEMA policy and practice activity. It will meet four times a year.
The committee will enable IEMA’s thematic member steering groups – Climate Change and Energy, Impact Assessment, Global Environmental and Social Assessment, and Circular Economy – to deliver their respective activities in a more effective and joined-up way.
In addition, and as set out in the governance review, the PPC will:
- Identify major projects for relevant member steering groups to deliver
- Advise on expert stakeholders for any task and finish groups required for policy and practice work
- Appraise the impact of policy and practice outputs, and suggest process improvements
- Regularly consult and survey IEMA’s membership to gauge views on policy and practice priorities.
The members of the Policy and Practice Committee are as follows:
- Louise Nicholls, managing director at Suseco.org (interim chair)
- Conor Savage, climate reporting manager at Natwest
- Andy Whyle, sustainability consultant at S-AW
- Adrian Barnes, senior manager at Green Investment Group
- Stefan Boss, director of environmental planning at Stantec
- Bret Willers, head of climate change and sustainability at Coventry City Council
- Andrew Smith, research environment and sustainability lead at Crown Commercial Service
- Cathie Mackay, vice president of environment health and safety services and third-party oversight at GSK
- Marie Fox, evidence adviser at the Environment Agency
- Laura Bartle, net zero policy and strategy manager at the National Grid
- Dr Eric Twum, chief executive officer at Institute of Green Growth Solutions
For more information regarding the PPC and its activities, contact [email protected]